Frequently Asked Questions
- What size fosse (septic tank) do I need?
- The smallest tank
that conforms is a 3000litre tank or 3metre cubed. This size is
suitable for properties up to 5 rooms not including kitchen &
then for each additional room (not bathroom) you will need to enlarge the septic tank by 1000litres
- Our 5 bedroom house is only used for holidays by myself & my partner why do I need such a big system?
are always sized by the size of the property. If you later tried to
sell your property with an undersized system any potential purchasers
would expect a big reduction for redoing the system
- I have a 5 room property & I might converty the barn to a gite later - can the system be enlarged?
- No it's not viable, it needs to be planned at the begining or a separate system installed when needed.
- I've just brought a collection of building I want to make into gites - how big a system do I need?
considering one big system think whether at a later date it might be
more advantageous to sell the buildings as individual houses because
one system for all of them would create problems at that point - who
pays for maintenance & emptying
- I've just brought a holiday home & how much will it cost to get
one of those microstations installed? one of those green spinning top
a holiday home you cannot install a system that
requires electricity to purify your waste and only systems that have
been approved by the French authorities can be installed & approved
by S.P.A.N.C The green one that you talk of are now approved. but
only for permanent residences. Bear in mind the depth of some units
because in the Creuse it could be
very expensive to excavate through the rock that is often present here
- SPANC have done done a diagnostic on my septic tank system and say
I need to install a filter after the septic tank. How much will this
- If you want a system that conforms then you need a septic
tank of 3000litres. If the septic tank isn't that big then you
will never have a system than conform & potential purchasers will
expect a reduction or be put off. Cost is site specific
- I've spoke to people who say they will do the work at 0% VAT why does your quote show 7%?
people are mis-leading you. It means thay are auto entrepreneurs with a
limited 32k euro turnover per year. They cannot charge VAT or reclaim
it but must still pay it on purchases. Check if they have decenniale
- How many bathroom can I connect to a 5m3 septic tank?
many as you like for the same property. Bathrooms don't count because
you don't live in them. A house with 47 bathrooms & 2
bedrooms - how many people can sleep there? Bedrooms not dormitories
- All our land is higher than the floor inside - can I put the fosse in the house?
There are pumps available to lift the "sludge" to the septic tank
or better if possible is the pump after the septic tank.
Each site is unique as has its own solution, unfortunately with a pump
involved it costs much more.
- How much does it cost to get a septic tank or micro station emptied?
costs will depend on your remoteness but you should budget on at least
two hundred euros. With some micro stations needing to be emptied every
4 months if used to their full capacity that cheap installation can
soon start to look like a money pit.
- How come these micro stations need empting so often? I thought they "ate" the stuff and turned it into water.
don't magically dissapear, they are collected in the unit, the aeration
helps the bacteria break down the solids which settle to the
bottom of the tank.
- How come you have put TVA at 19.6% on my quote for work on my barn conversion and Mr. A. N. other would charge me 7%?
correct rate for work on any building that has never been habitation, a property for living in,
(for at least 2 years is the higher rate. To enable Businesses to
invoice at the lower rate you sign a form to say that you are entitled
to the lower rate & that if an error is found you are solely
responsible for any penalties and repaying the TVA. A responsible
business would advise the customer of this. Businessses do not gain
from either rate TVA